Friday, January 14, 2011

The New Year

Between all the Weight Watchers commericals, the exercise equipment ads, and the shows about new years resolutions, you would think that all we care about in this country is eating, our appearance, and ourselves.  Which, is pretty much the truth.  I mean, honestly, I am sitting her writing a blog. There is nothing more self-centered than a blog if you come to think of it.  You talk about yourself or something close to your heart and hope others will read it.  The little kid in you hopes that you will get lots of comments. 

To keep with the spirit of this blog, my Mom was about the most un-self-centered person I knew.  She thought of everyone before herself, until she had to only think about herself just to survive.  I was talking to my father the other day and he made the comment that someone told him he looked younger than he was.  I mentioned that if he hadn't had all the health worries with my Mom, he would look even younger.  I then thought about that with me too.  I probably have more gray hairs and bags under my eyes because of it.

But, would either of us have done anything differently?  No. 

So as you watch all the "me" commericals this time of year, remember.  Doing for others has its rewards, even if it means Jenny Craig, the Total Gym, and your local plastic surgeon may be getting your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment