Monday, January 24, 2011

Too much of a good thing....

I remember not too long ago that I was commiserating about the fact that my husband was out of a job.   As a musician for most of his life and a Army National Guard retiree, he has had at least two careers.  But as a musician, he, like many of his brethern, seem to have varying job success.  Most people who hire look at the experience of someone who has spent most of his adult life performing as less than ideal.  What they fail to realize is that someone who has the dedication to learn an instrument, practice it and get to the level where people PAY you to play it is someone you need to have in your company. But I digress. 

Luckily Dan has been working now, for about a year, at a local auto parts plant.  He works third shift, so he sleeps during the day while I'm at work.   Initially, we felt, that this wasn't going to be that much of a change in our lifestyle.  It hasn't been too bad,  until January.   Now he is working 7 days a week, and sometimes 12 hours a day.  Dan is a hard worker, but he isn't 25 anymore either.  This is seriously kicking his butt and also making it difficult to do anything but eat, sleep and work.   The worst is that he has not been able to go to church with me for at least 3 weeks.  We both play in the services, but without his "melody" trumpet, my "harmony" trombone would sound very odd.  So if he doesn't play, neither do I. 

So, I am happy and blessed that he was work and that he is making some desperately needed money right now.  But, this morning he said he doesn't know when this is going to end and he has to go in early tonight.    So, for the foreseeable future I will be a work widow. 

Morale of the story is be careful what you pray for, you might just get it! 

2 comments:

  1. We went through this for YEARS. Factories get just the number of people they want and run them into the ground. They did the same to Dad. When he was very close to retiring they had him doing the same thing; I thought they were going to kill him before he had a chance to get out of there. It sucks the life out of family time. Our kids had only me 6 days a week for years. And, yeah, I bet his is worn out; we are not spring chickens. I hope they let up on him soon. I don't understand why they run the plants that way. You KNOW the guys as the top get to see their families.... I'll keep you guys in my prayers. My company plans training sessions for us on SUNDAY because they don't want to close our front counters. I have only been to one.. No wonder the family unit is crumbling; cutting into family time and worship time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise. I hope it doesn't last too much longer either. I do occasionally like to see him! Its getting old fast. But I can't complain too much. There are lots of friends that would love to have the work.

    ReplyDelete